9 May 2012

this is not my work ...



... but it looks like mine!

I came across this site of an event which took place between 19 November 2011 and 22 January 2012 at the Araluen Arts Centre’s Sitzler Gallery in Australia. on it there is a piece of work shown as being from australian ceramist Mel Robson and created in 2011 (as seen above from the printscreen I made of the page).
I don't really need to tell you about all the similarities between this piece and my own wall vases (images below) created in 2010. from the shape and function of the vases, material used (porcelain) and even on the style of presentation it is clearly a copy of my own!
I have already sent a request for the image to be removed from the NRETAS website and contacted the ceramist as well. as you can see Mel's work is so brilliant, personal and creative I cannot quite understand the reason for this. I hope she has an explanation!
.......................................................
não é o meu trabalho mas parece!

encontrei esta página na net de uma exposição que teve lugar entre Novembro 2011 e Janeiro 2012 no Araluen Arts Centre’s Sitzler Gallery na Australia. na página aparece uma imagem de um trabalho como sendo da ceramista australiana Mel Robson e criada em 2011 (ver imagem em cima do printscreen que fiz da página).
não é necessário descrever as semelhanças entre este trabalho com os meus wall vases (imagens em baixo) criados em 2010. desde a forma e função da peça, ao material usado e até no estilo de apresentação é claramente uma cópia do meu trabalho!
já fiz o pedido para a imagem ser removida do site da NRETAS e contactei a ceramista.
como podem ver o trabalho da Mel é tão criativo, personalizado e brilhante que não consigo compreender a razão para o sucedido. espero que tenha uma explicação!

edit: as of today, 11th may 2012 the page where I found the work has been removed as you can see (I asked for the image to be replaced and not the page)

actualização: a partir de hoje, 11 maio 2012,  como podem ver a página onde encontrei o trabalho foi retirada (apenas pedi para a imagem ser substituída e não a página)

11 comments:

ana pina said...

:( pois...
pior do que a semelhança do trabalho em si, o que por si só já é condenável, chega a ser a tentativa de o apresentar de modo semelhante... não resta dúvidas de que se trata de uma triste tentativa de imitação - e, como referes, olhando para o trabalho da Mel, dá mesmo vontade de dizer "não havia necessidade"! Haverá uma boa explicação?

* said...

oh, no! I really hate when this happens!! I hope you can solve this situation as soon as possible... Last year I bought some of your pieces so there's no need to say that I strongly support your art and the work behind it.

Best wishes from Spain*

paula said...

obrigada Ana!
pois e isso exactamente ... só por si a cópia do objecto é flagrante mas pelo menos podia "disfarçar" a apresentação ... triste! :(

gracias por tudo *!

evdokia t. said...

oh, this is so not good...
i hope there will be a good ending in this...

evdokia

eau de nil said...

it makes me sad - i hope the response is in the same kind, warm tone as your observation.

x

Anonymous said...

It really bothers me that your first assumption is that someone else stole your idea. I am an anthropologist and you would be surprised how many people have come up with similar ideas completely separately throughout history. I have unsubscribed from your postings because I found this post to be extremely negative. Good luck to you.

paula said...

thanks evdokia! I know it is not good :(

thank you dear Xénia ! I know it is sad! ... I'm sure there must be a reasonable explanation


anonymous ... thank you for your comment! I'm sorry you don't agree and although it comes from an anonymous person who doesn't even leave a name or contact I still would like to respond to your comment:

1 . it is not my assumption that someone else stole my idea. it is very clear from my images and the image presented for the exhibition as being Mel's work that the similarities are astonishing (shape of the pieces, made of porcelain, colour, the way it is presented in line with dried grasses).

although I don't assume someone is making a copy of my work I cannot but see that there are no differences between both works (ceramic piece, concept, styling and photography).

although I'm the first to understand and admit humankind all over the world and throughout history creates similar works (especially if inspired by the same subjects, themes and the environment ... which again is not the case in here since Mel and I are inspired by very different matters and express them in different ways) there are however always differences (shape, sizes, functions, colours, the way they are presented, etc) and those differences are not obvious in here. I'm sure even you, as an anthropologist can see that!

2. I'm not in any way being negative. I'm being clear and straightforward. for me, there is no other way! actually I even praised Mel's work which I honestly find very original and interesting and one of the reasons why I find so strange this situation.

3. I would have liked to have a comment like this from someone who identifies himself/herself rather than having to respond to an anonymous person ... at least you could have left a name and/or contact. I think it would have been more honest from you. if you wanted to leave such a negative comment then why not assume and show who you are? or otherwise do not comment at all ...

I find it very interesting that when people make a negative comment nearly always comes from an anonymous person... one of the great advantages of being online behind a computer screen, I suppose! I must say I leave comments open to anonymous people only because there are friends who sometimes have difficulties in commenting if I change that setting.

anyway thank you for your comment!

Patricia G said...

This is upsetting Paula. It is very strange. These forms do not appear anywhere else on Mel's site. I hope you can resolve this.
Keep going ever forward. You are developing new and exciting things.
Kind regards
Patricia

paula said...

thank you Patricia! yes, I think it is strange too and also realised this piece doesn't show anywhere else on Mel's site. there must be something and that is why I emailed asking for an explanation ...

Kookie said...

Dear Paula,

Plagiarism is a very serious offence. But an act of fraud combined with rude and objectionable tolerance for someone's stealing is simply unacceptable. Kudos to you for addressing this delicate but well-handled subject. Stay devoted to your work, dreams and ideas!!!

Valerie said...

glups. i hope you have this solved real soon dear Paula. may i just say the anonymous comment is a bit dry, maybe someone can express disagreement more nicely ? sending you some XO across the miles